Who doesn’t love pizza night with the family on a Friday or Saturday Night?
For me, grilled pizza was a game changer. Living here on the East Coast – pizza is considered a national treasure. We all have the pizza joints we grew up in, and everyone has an opinion on which spot is best.
Now, for us, we love and appreciate grilled pizza more than local pizza delivery. But, with a little bit of know-how and patience, you, too, will love this method of homemade pizza.
- Pizza Dough of Choice (Frozen, Naan, or Pizza Dough)
- Sauce of Choice
- Cheese of Choice
- Pizza Toppings of Choice
- Get your pizza dough or crust ready. For this recipe you can use any dough you prefer. We typically go to our local pizza spot and ask them for pizza dough. Two fresh balls of dough usually sell for about $5. (How To Stretch Pizza Dough)
- Take a handful of flour and place it on your counter or cookie sheet before putting your dough or crust down. This enures the crust will not stick to the surface.
- Pre-heat grill to 400. (You can also get your smoker or oven up to temp for this cook)
- Add a thin layer of sauce to the dough. Be careful of not oversaucing the dough, because it may break or pull with too much sauce.
- Add cheese and toppings
- Transfer topped pizza to a pizza stone or cooking sheet. We highly recommend using a pizza stone for a great evenly cooked pizza.
- Place pizza stone on grill and cook for 7 minutes
- After 7 minutes, use a pizza peel or spatula and check the bottom of the pizza. Rotate pizza 180 to get the bottom to cook evenly.
- Leave on the grill for another 5 minutes or so. Pull when cheese is melted thoroughly and bottom of the crust is done to your liking.
- Bring pizza inside and let it rest for 10 minutes
- Slice and Enjoy!
This is one of those Grilled Jawn jawns that you can do whatever you want. Pizza toppings, dough, and sauces are so subjective. Everyone like something a little different than someone else. Go with what you like and make this one your own.
Nice time you are thinking pizza for the night, make it a grilled pizza and spin it however you like.
Grilled Jawn Backyard BBQ Grill Guide
See what’s in our Backyard and the what we use to cook.