One of the most asked questions when I look in the various BBQ Facebook Groups is “How Should I Smoke Sausage?”
Simple enough. We love sausage, and the Grilled Jawn family loves cooking sausage, so why not — here are our on How To Smoke Sausage.
NOTE: The sausage we are discussing here are uncooked sausages. More typically hand made uncooked cased sausage from your local butcher. (Yes — whenever possible, please support your local butcher.)
How To Smoke Sausage
- Fresh hand made sausage
- Pre-heat smoker to 225
- Place sausage on rack(s) not touching one another as much as possible
- Smoke for 60 minutes
- Roll the sausage over (This is mostly for appearance if there are any grate lines. Also, feel free to skip this step.)
- Smoke for another 60 minutes (or when internal temps reach 150)
- Pre-heat charcoal or gas grill to med-high
- Grill the sausage for 3 minutes – flip and repeat
If you are not planning on eating the sausage right away, skip steps 6 & 7. When you are ready to eat your smoked sausage then embark on steps 6 & 7.
One common question we hear about smoking sausage is “Will the casing burst when in the smoker? Is this something I need to worry about?” Quick answer: NO.
Your sausage’s casing will not burst while in the smoker unless you leave them in the smoker for too long. So, really this should not be a worry.
Now that you know How To Smoke Sausage, we want you to go ahead and give it a shot. This is a super easy, delicious way to use your smoker any time of year.