Smoked Shotgun Shells are nothing more than Bacon wrapped sausage stuffed manicotti shells. Simple enough, but so delicious.
This is one of those cooks where there’s a lot of prep, but super worth it when you’re done. Smoked Shotgun Shells are always a hit for any occasion, party, get together or anything.
WARNING: Manicotti shells are fragile. Be as careful and cautious as possible when handling the shells. Other than that, this one is a breeze. (This is a great recipe anytime you have some extra space in the smoker.)
Smoked Shotgun Shells
- 1 box Manicotti Shells
- 1 lb Sausage of Choice (We used Mild Italian Sausage)
- 1 cup Cheese of Choice (I like Pepper jack)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 package Bacon
- Mix Sausage and cheese in a bowl. If you want you can add extra seasoning, but we did not find it necessary
- Take sausage mixture and stuff shells and place on wire rack. Be gentle and patient when adding the mix to the shells the manicotti shells like to crack (NOTE: We found that 1lb of sausage mix fills 10 shells)
- Wrap each stuffed shell with a piece of bacon
- Fire up the smoker or grill to 275°
- Add a little of your favorite sweet or savory seasoning to the bacon
- Place in smoker and smoker for 90 minutes (or until the bacon is crispy)
- Remove from smoker and paint the shells with your favorite BBQ sauce and put back in the smoker for 15 minutes.
- Serve & Enjoy!
This is another one of those simple recipes that have a lot of steps, but there’s nothing too much to this cook. These smoked shotgun shells are amazing and loved by the Grilled Jawn Family! Give ’em a go and let us know you make out!
Reader Submitted Questions
Do you pre-cook the shells?
No, we did not pre-cook the shells. You can boil them for 5 minutes to soften and make a little easier to stuff.
Do you hand stuff or use a piping bag?
We stuff them by hand. I imagine you could use a piping bag if you have the right one.
Do you use toothpicks or any other method for the bacon?
If you use thin bacon it will adhere perfectly to the shell. No worries.
Shop The GriLled Jawn Store
Be the envy of your Backyard BBQ with limited edition
BBQ Shirts and Craft Beef Jerky