The Best Smoked Leftovers: Tostadas
This may be the most trivial problem ever — what to do with your smoked leftovers. Seriously, I mean…talk about problems….
Since we are a family of two (three, including Cleo the dog) we almost always have leftovers from cooking adventures in the refrigerator. When we plan a weekend cook, we like to fill up the Pit Boss with as much as it holds. This ensures we have plenty of meal prep type of food, plus if you’re going to run the smoker to 5 hours it’s easier to make it worth your while. So, basically expect smoked leftovers.
Recently, we filled the smoker up with Chuck Roast, Mac and Cheese, Pork Tenderloin and Corn Bread. This was a Full Send Sunday for some great Backyard BBQ.
But, with all this food — the question always remains: what should we do with the smoked leftovers?
(Pictured: Pork Tenderloin, Chuck Roast, Pork Belly, Mac & Cheese and Corn Bread.)
Today’s answer to the question at hand –Tostadas.
Cast Iron Tostadas
- Leftover Smoked Meats
- Typical Taco Condiments
- Melt butter in a cast iron skilled over medium heat
- Slice cheese, meats and anything else needed for the tostada
- Lay down meat, cover with cheese, and add salsa (if desired)
- Grill the tostada in the skillet until the cheese melts
- Top with seasoning of choice (For these I added a little rub from however we previously smoked the meat.)
- Remove from skillet and top with any other tostada / taco toppings
This is just one of the ways we like to re-purpose whatever we have left in the ‘fridge from the previous week’s smoke session.
We are going to keep on making posts ab out how we use our smoked leftovers and turn one smoke into multiple meals. Sometimes the best ideas for leftovers are the simplest and most obvious.