If you love pollo fundido this one is for you. And if you’ve never heard of it, you will want to try it soon.
When I lived in Arizona I used to frequent a great Mexican spot name Someburros in Tempe, AZ. This spot was the perfect cross between a corner Taco Shop and a Mexican Restaurant. While everything there was amazing, one dish stood out — Pollo Fundido.
What is it? Pollo Fundido is a jalapeno cream cheese sauce with green onion and shredded cheese over a deep fried tortilla wrapped chicken breast served over rice. Sounds amazing — right? It is.
Tonight I wanted to make stuffed peppers, so it hit me — let’s make stuff smoked Poblano Peppers with Pollo Fundido. (This version using ground chicken and sans deep frying rates a little higher on the healthy scale.)
Smoked Pollo Fundido Poblanos
- 2 Blocks Philly Cream Cheese
- 1lb Ground Chicken
- Chicken Taco Seasoning (We us White Bulls Taco Uppercut)
- 3 Poblano Peppers
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese
- Start off smoking your cream cheese as shown in our previous Smoked Cream Cheese Recipe (NOTE: If you want to cut time off the cook you can use regular blocks of Philly Cream Cheese)
- Dice Jalapenos
- Brown your ground chicken with your Taco Seasoning of Choice. For this recipe we used the same seasoning that we used when smoking the cream cheese.
- Combing cream cheese, jalapenos, ground chicken, and shredded cheese in a mixing bowl.
- Cut off the tops of the poblanos, slice in half and clean.
- Pre-heat smoker to 225
- Fill poblanos with the Pollo Fundido mix
- Place on grill rack and smoke for 90 minutes.
- Remove after 90 min — allow the peppers to rest for 15 minutes and ENJOY!
This was the first time we made these and definitely will not be the last. Next time, maybe we will wrap the peppers in bacon. This is a great recipe that can be serves as a side, main or an appetizer. Give it a try — it’s a sure winner.