What can I say that has not already been said about Pork Belly Burnt Ends…
Traditionally made from Brisket, burnt ends all started at Arthur Bryant’s Barbeque, a legendary African American restaurant in Kansas City, Missouri. Kansas City native Calvin Trillin is often credited with popularizing burnt ends. In a 1972 article he wrote about Arthur Bryant’s restaurant in Kansas City, he wrote:
“The main course at Bryant’s, as far as I’m concerned, is something that is given away free – the burned edges of the brisket.Calvin Trillin — 1972
Today with the Great BBQ Explosion, burnt ends are made from Brisket, Pork Belly, Chuck, and I have even seen a version made with Hot Dogs. But today, at the Grilled Jawn compound, we are making Pork Belly Burnt Ends.
Smoked Pork Belly Burnt Ends
- Remove the Pork Belly Skin (if it is not removed already)
- Slice the Pork Belly in strips and then 1″ cubes
- Season all sides of the Pork Belly (we like a sweeter seasoning when it comes to smoking Pork.)
- Place the Pork Belly on a small cooling rack and hit with a little more seasoning
- Fire up your smoker to 250
- Place Pork Belly in the smoker for about 2.5 hours or until they are probe tender. (If you are unfamiliar with meat being probe tender, look for an internal temperature of about 200)
- When probe tender remove Pork Belly from smoker and sauce in a disposable aluminum pan
- Place pan with sauced Pork back in the smoker for 30-45 more minutes for the sauce to caramelize on the burnt ends.
Trust me, let this one go the full distance without cheating and you will not be Trust me, let this one go the total distance without cheating, and you will not be disappointed. BBQ Pork Belly Burnt Ends are the candy of Backyard BBQ and are always an instant hit.
Once you master this recipe, please give it a go and mix up some of the flavor profiles by using different BBQ Rubs and Sauces. Pair this with an excellent full-bodied Ale or Light Red Wine, and you are set for a great day. Cheers!
Shop The GriLled Jawn Store
Be the envy of your Backyard BBQ with limited edition
BBQ Shirts and Craft Beef Jerky