Backyard Smoked Brisket
Recently, smoked brisket has been on my mind. The past weekend was the prefect time and for me to do a hot and fast smoked brisket in the backyard.
The day before we took a trip to visit family in Pennsylvania and we stopped by one of our favorite Country Butchers. Dietrich’s Meats outside Kutztown, PA always has a great selection of meats. We grabbed a small brisket with plans to cook hot and fast on Sunday.
A couple of things worth mentioning: Brisket is more expensive than ever. Smoking brisket can be intimidating. Not everywhere you go will have good briskets. But none of these things should stop you from smoking one on your own.
Smoked Brisket Video
Hot and Fast Smoked Brisket
- 4+ lb Brisket
- BBQ Seasoning
- Butcher Paper / Aluminum Foil
- Prepare your brisket by trimming it accordingly and removing the excess silver skin from the top. (Brisket Trimming Instructions)
- Heat smoker to 280-300 degrees using a mild wood or pellet. (For this go round we used Bear Mountain Pellets Gourmet Blend)
- Liberally season all sides of the brisket. We used Terry Black’s Beef Rub, but you can use and hearty SPG BBQ Rub.
- Place brisket fat side down in the smoker
- After two hours check IT. Once a good bark is created on your brisket and the IT reaches 160 take it out and wrap tightly in butcher’s paper or foil.
- Put wrapped brisket back in smoker
- Smoke for approx two more hours until the meat hits 195 and is probe tender.
- Remove wrapped brisket — place in a small cooler wrapped in a towel or in a closed oven to rest for 1-2 hours
- Remove rested brisket from wrapping and slice to serve. (How to properly slice a brisket)
- Serve with your favorite sides and ENJOY!
This was one of the best things we’ve ever cooked. Remember, cooking time is always relative to size of the cut and the temperature. BBQ is not an exact science — and as is with all Grilled Jawn Recipes, it’s important to follow the instructions, take notes during your cook, and use this as a basic guideline for a great smoked brisket. Enjoy!
Shop The GriLled Jawn Store
Be the envy of your Backyard BBQ with limited edition
BBQ Shirts and Craft Beef Jerky