The Chopped Cheese Sandwich
The OG Bodega $5 holla is A Chopped Cheese Sandwich. Learn how to make it with the harlem original Recipe.
The Chopped Cheese Sandwich got its beginning at Hajji’s on 1st Avenue at 110th Street in Harlem NYC. (If you want to learn more about the origins of the Chopped Cheese Sandwich check out Hometown Hero: The Legend of New York’s Chopped Cheese.) Since its inception this bodega sandwich has been a staple and quickly was named an Icon of New York City.
What is a Chopped Cheese Sandwich?
Is a cheesesteak — No. Is it a hamburger — No. Is it a grilled cheese — Not in the least.
This is what it is…a Chopped Cheese Sandwich is a seasoned grilled hamburger chopped up and served with cheese on a sub roll. (I am originally from North Jersey, so I can confidently say that a sub roll is almost the same as a hoagie roll.) Once cooked, this sandwich is dressed with lettuce, tomato, onion, and ketchup and served wrapped bodega style.
The Chopped Cheese Sandwich
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- Burger Seasoning
- Sub Roll (Hoagie)
- Diced Onion
- American Cheese
- Sliced Tomato
- Shredded Lettuce
- Pre-heat you grill to high. (This a perfect cook for any Flat Top Grill. If you don’t have a Flat Top, a cast iron pan is a great substitute.)
- Using cooking spray or oil get your surface ready and placed your diced onions on the surface. For this sandwich I like using onions that are softened by the heat and not full fledged fried onions.
- Slice your roll and spread butter on both sides and place down on the Flat Top. If you want it toasted extra golden and delicious spread mayo on the roll instead of butter. It’s a game changer.
- Season your ground beef with your favorite burger seasoning. For this one we used Meat Church’s Holy Cow.
- Form 1/4 lb balls of ground beef. Place on the hot cooking surface (Flat Top or Pan) and smash into a patty with your burger spatula.
- Let the burgers cook and form a nice dark crust on the bottom. (Crust = Flavor)
- Flip burger and begin to chop with your spatula almost as if you are browning meat in a pan.
- Once the meat is 75% cooked add slices of American Cheese over the meat and once melted chop into the meat.
- When cooked remove meat from grill and add to roll
- Dress the Chopped Cheese Sandwich with Lettuce, Tomato and the Onions with Ketchup (or burger condiment of choice)
- Serve and Enjoy!
This is such a great sandwich. The Chopped Cheese Sandwich is a delicacy that has gained more popularity over recent years but has been a staple of New York Food Culture for a while now. So the next time someone asks for or if you plan to serve burgers to guests, give this one a try. We are sure everyone will love it!
Grilled Jawn Backyard BBQ Grill Guide
See what’s in our Backyard and the what we use to cook.