Living in the greater Philadelphia area I am lucky to have so many opportunities to grab a Roast Pork Sandwich. There’s John’s Roast Pork in South Philly, DiNic’s in The Reading Terminal Market and so many more to throughout the City to choose from. But, what about a version of the famous Philly Roast Pork Sandwich made on the smoker.
Ok, I know…technically I turned it from a Roast Pork Sandwich to a smoked pork sandwich, but that’s what this site is all about. I will tell you this — The Grilled Jawn version did not miss.
Roast Pork Sandwich – Smoked Version
- Boston Butt (Pork Shoulder)
- BBQ Rub
- Italian Seasoning
- Meat Binder (mustard or worcestershire sauce)
- Broccoli Rabe (or spinach)
- Provolone Cheese
- Hoagie Relish (Diced Hot Cherry Pepper Relish)
- Brioche Roll (or hoagie rolls)
- Pre-heat smoker to 225 degrees
- Take your pork and apply a binder. We used Worcestershire Sauce to make sure the rub stuck appropriately.
- Apply a thin base coat of your favorite pork BBQ Rub. For our version we used Terry Black’s Pork Rub.
- Next, apply your Italian Seasoning. We used a store bought a jar of a pre-mixed jar of Italian seasoning. (Why?: Being unfamiliar with using Italian spices in our smoker, I did not want everything to turn our perfectly, but be unhappy with the Italian seasoning.)
- Smoke the pork until it probes to an internal temperature of 145. When we cooked this version it was 21 degrees outside and the whole cook took about 4 hours for a 3.5 lb.
- Once the temperature is hit, remove from smoker and wrap in tin foil. Let rest for 30-45 minutes.
- Wash your Broccoli Rabe and sauté until it looks like sautéd spinach. (This step is optional and you can substitute spinach for the broccoli rabe.)
- Slice the pork to medium-thin
- Dress your sandwich from bottom up: Cheese, meat, broccoli rabe, pepper hoagie relish on a brioche bun or hoagie roll of choice.
Ever since moving to the Philly area I have always wanted to explore the flavors of Philly with some BBQ in the smoker. I think this really nails the flavors I love when it comes to a good roast pork sandwich and I think all Samboners will love this Jawn. Enjoy!!!