Originating in Baltimore, Pit Beef May Be The Best East Coast Sandwich You Never Heard Of.
When it comes to cooking and cuisine, I am a sucker for anything local. Living outside of Philadelphia, I know Cheesesteaks, I know Roast Pork, I even know about Pretzels. Just down I-95 and approximately 100 miles South of me is Baltimore, MD — The Home of Pit Beef.
What is Pit Beef? Pit Beef is Roast Beef cooked to a perfect medium rare usually over charcoal hot and fast, served with thinly sliced onions on a Kaiser Roll with Tiger Sauce (Horseradish and Mayo.)
This regional delicacy is so amazing we wanted to share our latest Pit Beef cook with everyone. (Before we get too far I want to say, we smoked this version. Traditionally, Baltimore Pit Beef is cooked over fire with charcoal.)
Pit Beef Sandwiches
- Top Round (We used 3.25 lb piece for this recipe)
- 1 Onion – Thinly Sliced
- Kaiser Rolls
- Season your Top Round with SPG. Salt, Pepper & Garlic either home mixed or as a pre-mixed rub.
- Fire up your smoker to 250° (Traditional Pit Beef is cooked over charcoal with med-high heat)
- Mix up your Tiger Sauce of equal parts Mayo and Horseradish adding Pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to combine all flavors.
- Cook meat to Medium Rare — 150° IT works for us
- Wrap in butcher paper (or foil) and rest for at least 45 minutes
- Unwrap the meat and thinly slice. Without a meat slicer it can be tricky, but you want the Top Round as thin as possible
- Pile thinly sliced meat on Kaiser Roll and Onions and dress with Tiger Sauce
As you can probably guess, the key to this sandwich is thinly slicing everything and the Tiger Sauce. These two things is what sets apart a Pit Beef Sandwich from any other Roast Beef Sandwiches. Take your time with this cook and allow the bark to develop and the Tiger Sauce’s flavor to come together
Listen, if this sandwich is a hit with Wee-Bey Brice — you are certain to love it too.
Grilled Jawn Backyard BBQ Grill Guide
See what’s in our Backyard and the what we use to cook.