Quick Smoked Sloppy Joes
Do not even try and tell us you don’t Love a good sloppy joe. Here’s your chance to make Smoked Sloppy Joes – ya ‘heard.
Ok, we all love and probably grew up on Sloppy Joes. (Cue the Adam Sandler Lunch Lady Land Song.) The Sloppy Joe (the loose meat version, not the NJ Millburn Deli version) is an icon of American fare.
This iconic meal is easy to prepare, cheap, and a great way to make a meal for many in your smoker. Plus, you can use Ground Chicken, Beef, Pork or Turkey — BONUS. Honestly, I never even though about making Smoked Sloppy Joes until I saw Uncle Junebug made a batch last week. [Thanks Unc.]
SMOKED SLOPPY JOES
- 1 lb Ground Meat (Chicken, Beef, Turkey)
- BBQ Seasoning (to taste)
- 1/2 Diced Onion
- 1 Dices Pepper (of choice)
- 2/3 C Ketchup
- 1 T Tomato Paste
- 1 T Mustard
- 1 t Minced Garlic
- 1 T Steak Sauce
- 1/4 C Water
- 1 T Hot Sauce
- Brown Sugar to Taste (or Sweet BBQ Rub)
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- In a skillet brown ground meat seasoning with BBQ Rub of choice for the meat used
- Stir in Peppers & Onions
- In a separate bowl combine all other ingredients. This is you Sloppy Joe sauce that will really take to the smoke
- Stir in Sloppy Joe sauce into meat in skillet or aluminum pan
- Pre-heat smoker (or grill) to 250°
- Place skillet in smoker and smoke for 2 hours 15 minutes stirring every 30 minutes
- Serve on roll as sandwich or loose on plate
Since the chicken is mostly cooked when it goes in the smoker, the sauce takes on a great smoky flavor that makes this recipe a hit. This recipe is so easy and delicious we know you will make Smoked Sloppy Joes for you next Backyard BBQ or party.
Like the rest of our Grilled Jawn recipes, use this as a guideline, and season to taste to really make it your own. Let us know how you take your Smoked Sloppy Joes to the next level. Cheers!
Grilled Jawn Backyard BBQ Grill Guide
See what’s in our Backyard and the what we use to cook.