With it being Halloween, I figured why not — let’s grill up some chicken lollipops for dinner.
I have always seen various Instagram BBQ personalities make lamb or chicken lollipops. They look super cool and delicious, so I thought I would try my hand at grilling some on our Weber for us to root for our Phillies in the World Series.
There were two things that really surprised me and kind of caught me off guard. 1) How delicious these legs are when you use this prep method and 2) how much of a pain in the ass it was to prep the chicken. I do not know why I thought it would be easy to prep the chicken lollipops, but it definitely was not a fun task.
NOTE: For this cook we used our Vortex accessory, but any indirect cooking system you use will work fine.
Grilled Chicken Lollipops
- Chicken Drumsticks
- BBQ Seasoning of Choice
- PREP: Take each drumstick and slice approx 1″ from the bottom of the bone with a sharp knife in a circular motion. Using poultry shears, cut the excess meat off the bone and expose the bottom 1″ of the drumstick. With two fingers press the meat together from the bottom of the bone up to plump up the drumstick. Sounds easy, and it is, it’s just a pain.
- Season Chicken liberally with your favorite BBQ seasoning
- Setup your grill for indirect cooking and get the grill to 375-400°
- Place the chicken on the cool side of the grill and cook for 25 minutes
- Flip (or roll over) the chicken and cook for another 20 minutes to an IT of 170°
- Pull off the grill and allow to cool a little and serve!
Chicken Lollipops are a great substitute for wings and if cooked correctly they will crisp up like wings. Give this a shot and let us know what you think. For me, I think the effort was well worth the result, and I know I will be cooking these again really soon.
Grilled Jawn Backyard BBQ Grill Guide
See what’s in our Backyard and the what we use to cook.